The Keto diet is all the rage right now, with articles littering your news feed calling it the ‘new miracle’ fat burner on one end, or the ‘Keto flu’ on the other. Here at Austin Massage Company we know proper education is key to wellness, so, let’s cut through the hype and get to the facts about what the Keto diet actually is:
- The Ketogenic (Keto) Diet is a special type of high fat diet that aims to reprogram your metabolism to burn your fat stores for fuel rather than using the glycogen stored in your muscles.
- On the ketogenic diet, a person’s carbohydrate intake is dropped to just two to four percent of their total caloric intake.
- This allows your fat cells to begin releasing fatty acids, which your liver will then breakdown to produce what are called “ketones.” Ketosis is the state that is achieved when your body breaks down ketones for energy instead of glucose from carbohydrates.
- There can be rapid weight loss. While this is most certainly promising, keep in mind that at the beginning – this is merely a loss in water weight.
- Ketones are a great source of fuel for the brain. When you lower carb intake, you avoid big spikes in blood sugar. Together, this is supposed to result in improved focus and concentration.
Now, wether you hop on the Keto train or run for the hills… You might at least have a little more knowledge on the situation!